Jesus said, “I came that they may have life and have it abundantly” – John 10:10
Health Ministries provides the love of Christ through concern about the health of the body, helping to heal people. The Health Ministries team designs events and education, and provides tools and services that serve to promote the physical, mental and spiritual health of our members and friends. Jesus’ ministry was one of teaching, preaching and healing. He was concerned about the “whole” person. Today, churches are seeing the importance of wholistic living and of integrating health ministry into the life of the congregation. Health Ministries welcomes members to call for information and if in need of assistance or care – contact the church office at 843-681-3696.
FPC’s Health Ministries and Lay Visitation Ministry hold an annual Love Luncheon for our members who are 90 years of age and over. A wonderful time is enjoyed by all at the luncheons.
Purple Angel Project
Health Ministries, in collaboration with Memory Matters, brought this community-wide initiative to FPC so we can be a dementia-friendly place of worship. Members and staff were trained. The goal is to enhance life for all senior citizens who call the Lowcountry home, by creating a dementia-friendly community.
- Fitness with Friends: An exercise class that meets Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 8:30 a.m. in Fellowship Hall. The class is appropriate for men and women of all ages and includes warm-up time, stretching, low-impact aerobics, strength building with weights and flexibility. Wear comfortable clothing, supportive shoes, bring light weights and water, and check with your physician before beginning the class. There is no charge for the class.
CareNotes: CareNotes, for the use of all the congregation, are supplied by Health Ministries. They are displayed on racks in Fellowship Hall and the Gathering Space. CareNotes for children and teens are also displayed in the appropriate areas in the Education wing. We have over 200 titles for all ages and needs.
- Caring Friends Ministry: Are you a caregiver in need of some relief? Health Ministries’ Caring Friends respite ministry can help! Would you like to provide respite care? Do you need some time off from being a caregiver? Contact the church office at 843-681-3696 for a referral to a Health Ministries coordinator for more information.
Equipment and Literature:
- First aid kits, located in: Fellowship Hall, Ushers’ closet Christian Education hallway (2nd floor)
- Automatic external defibrillator (AED) and an emergency kit in the hallway between the sanctuary and Gathering Space;
- Wheelchairs are located in the closet in the church office across from the reception desk, in Fellowship Hall and in the ushers’ closet in the narthex;
- Medical equipment loaner program: Walkers, shower seats and bedside commodes are available on loan.
Additional Ministries Provided:
- Post-hospital nursing contact;
- Health education through lectures and First Press newsletter;
- New parent and baby contacts to offer support and resources;
- Caring Friends respite ministry for caregivers;
- Bereavement Ministry: Three-month and one-year follow-up by phone and cards for loved ones following a death;
- Inspiring Wellness — a community wellness program.
- Medical equipment loaner program
- Manage AED and First Aid kits